How come wxPython isn't in the standard library?

BJörn Lindqvist bjourne at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 09:43:24 EST 2004

Thanks for the replies. There seems to be some good reasons that
wxPython isn't in the stdlib yet.

It's too big:

> 1) wxpython src tarball is about 18M,
> python's is about 8M.  Adding wx to the standard would more than
> triple the size of the standard distro.

IMHO, this is a no issue. It doesn't matter that much if the source is
8 or 26 mb. In fact, 8 mb is extremely small download for a
programming language.

Incompatible release schedules:

> Anything that is in stdlib is somewhat constrained to the same release
> schedule as the core Python.  For example it would have been bad to do
> the wxPython 2.4 to 2.5 transition during the 2.3 Python series.

I don't understand this argument really and would be happy if someone
would explain further. Why can't those people who compile the stdlib
just take whatever the lastest version of wxPython is, and include
that?

wxPython is not mature enough:

> The other thing I failed to mention is that the wxPython API isn't very
> Pythonic.

> I haven't used WxPython for a little while, but not long ago (less than
> a year) it was dreadfully easy to crash a program if even a little
> mistake happened.

Ok. Those are big problems. So wxPython is not good enough to earn a
spot in the stdlib yet. However, getting your Python module into the
standard library must be like winning the Nobel Prize for Python
module programmers. Atleast, if *I* had a chance to get a module I've
written into the stdlib, I would definitely sync my release schedule
and make my module as pythonic as possible. :) Maybe in the future it
can be included?

--
mvh Björn