How come wxPython isn't in the standard library?

Stefan Behnel behnel_ml at dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sun Nov 7 11:21:36 EST 2004

BJörn Lindqvist schrieb:
>>1) wxpython src tarball is about 18M,
>
> IMHO, this is a no issue. It doesn't matter that much if the source is
> 8 or 26 mb.

I highly object. Size /does/ matter in many cases. Imagine what would
happen if wxPython was integrated. People would say: Ok, tkinter is in,
wxPython is in, why not PyQT, PyGTK and toolkit XYZ ?? I don't see any
reason why wxPython should be better than any of the other toolkits. And
if I was to vote for or against a redundant module that would totally
bloat the standard distribution, I wouldn't think twice about it...

 > In fact, 8 mb is extremely small download for a
 > programming language.

8MB is actually quite large and I'm happy that many Linux-Distros
(especially Handheld distros like Familiar) split the stdlib into various
packets that can be installed independantly. I actually hope that Python
3000 will make this easier by reducing inter-module dependencies when
restructuring stdlib.

Stefan