PyQT developement for Windows

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Wed May 5 16:04:15 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 05 May 2004 7:33 pm, Fabio Corneti wrote:
> Hi all,
> I read many posts on the subject, but I'm still confused about
> licensing issues with PyQT.
>
> I'm going to start a new project, and I'd like to use PyQT because
> it is an excellent product; the particular issue is that
> we would like to make the source code available under the GPL,
> but we would also like to distribute a compiled version for Win32.
>
> Having a commercial copy of QT and PyQT, would it be possible to
> develop a GPL version which would remain GPLed where PyQT and QT
> are GPL and build the Windows version from this code to redistribute
> it in some manner (e.g. freeware)?

It's up to you how you license your own application so there is no problem
with dual licensing it - the GPL and one that is compatible with a Windows
version of Qt and PyQt.

The problem is how do your users get a copy of Qt and PyQt? Depending on your
circumstances, and those of your users, you have the choice of the
non-commercial version (free but Qt v2 only), the educational version (free
if you are an educational institution), or the commercial version (not free
but you can redistribute Qt and PyQt to anybody with your application).

Phil