PyQT developement for Windows

simo simoninusa2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 5 23:15:50 EDT 2004

Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk> wrote:

> It's up to you how you license your own application so there is no problem
> with dual licensing it - the GPL and one that is compatible with a Windows
> version of Qt and PyQt.
>
> The problem is how do your users get a copy of Qt and PyQt? Depending on your
> circumstances, and those of your users, you have the choice of the
> non-commercial version (free but Qt v2 only), the educational version (free
> if you are an educational institution), or the commercial version (not free
> but you can redistribute Qt and PyQt to anybody with your application).

Way too cryptic. To summarise:

1. To distribute *under any licensing terms* on Windows, you have to
buy commercial PyQt and Qt.

2. To distribute under GPL for Linux/Mac only *not Windows*, you can
use the GPL Qt/PyQt.

3. To distribute *commercially* for any platform, you have to buy a
commercial license.

I'm pretty sure there is no currently available non-commercial v2 or
educational combination of PyQt/Qt that works anyway (like
non-commercial Qt 3.2.1 doesn't have a matching PyQt, only 2.x)

All this is a bloody shame, and is why I use wxPython.....