What I don't like about wxPython

A. Lloyd Flanagan alloydflanagan at comcast.net
Sun May 9 06:38:55 EDT 2004

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message news:<7xr7tu5un8.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>...
[snip..]
> If wxPython really depends on Windows, that's a huge obstacle for
> those wanting a portable system.  If it doesn't literally depend on
> Windows, but uses Windows-centric interfaces and approaches, that's
> still pretty annoying for non-Windows developers.

Couple of points:
wxPython is very cross-platform, I've used the same program on Windows
and Linux and it looks fine on both.  The Mac OS X port appears to be
coming along very well.
wxPython is (deliberately) a thin wrapper of the C++ classes in the
wxWidgets package (used to be called wxWindows).  So it supports all
the platforms wxWidgets does.
And, yes, it's not pythonic; the wax package is supposed to fix that,
though I personally don't have experience with it.