bug in inspect (was cgitb vs traceback)

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Sat May 15 16:26:17 EDT 2004

Robin Becker wrote:

> It's bug 954364. Your method is exactly what I did ie inject the patched
> functions into inspect at run time. Python may not be so easy to patch
> in future if altering other module's name spaces becomes harder.

Many thanks, Robin.  Indeed, I worry about module namespaces becoming
'protected', since I use a LOT the ability to inject things where I need them
at runtime.  I suspect if they actually go ahead with this approach, IPython is
going to break in horrible ways.

I really hope this kind of thing is done _optionally_, but that python continues
to 'treat programmers as adults'.  I know what I'm doing is hackish, but I do
it knowingly (and because I need to).  So please, python, assume I'm old enough
to know how to handle a sharp blade and don't wrap it in foam for me. Sometimes
I need to cut things harder than a banana :)

Best,