how to become a really good Python programmer?

Miki Tebeka miki.tebeka at zoran.com
Wed Jun 16 05:35:39 EDT 2004

Hello Randall,

> I've been programming in Python for about 2 years.  I think it offers
> the best combination of simplicity and power of any language I have
> explored.  As I write more and larger and complex programs, I need to
> code better.  By better I mean clearer, cleaner, more efficient and
> maintainable.  As the subject states, I want to become a really good
> Python programmer.  I learn most everything from random examples and
> experience and that's good, but now I would like some sound, directed
> guidance.  Following Guido around would be ideal, but I will settle for
> a good book.  Any recommendations for learning resources?
Apart from other recommendations you'll get I suggest you learn other
programming languages. This will enable you to view problems in a
different light.

I recommend at least one lisp dialect (scheme is perfect for learning)
and one prolog dialects. Both have free interpreters available (I
recommend mzscheme and SWI prolog).

HTH.

Bye.