how to become a really good Python programmer?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Jun 16 07:14:00 EDT 2004

Randall Smith wrote:

> I've been programming in Python for about 2 years.  I think it offers
> the best combination of simplicity and power of any language I have
> explored.  As I write more and larger and complex programs, I need to
> code better.  By better I mean clearer, cleaner, more efficient and
> maintainable.  As the subject states, I want to become a really good
> Python programmer.

I think one of the best ways to do that (in addition to the excellent
suggestions you've already received) might be to learn test-driven
development (TDD).  The things it will tell you about the clarity,
cleanliness, efficiency, and maintainability of your own code will
surprise you, and you'll likely improve rapidly in these areas as
a result.

Not to mention find yourself beginning to write code with fewer bugs!

-Peter