how to become a really good Python programmer?

Troy Melhase troy at gci.net
Wed Jun 16 02:39:52 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 15 June 2004 10:06 pm, Randall Smith wrote:
> I've been programming in Python for about 2 years.  I think it offers
> the best combination of simplicity and power of any language I have
> explored.  As I write more and larger and complex programs, I need to
> code better.

[snip]

> Following Guido around would be ideal, but I will settle for
> a good book.  Any recommendations for learning resources?

Yes.

1.	import this

2.	Write more code.  The more you write, the more opportunity you have to
learn.

3.	Study the code written by folks more experienced than you.  There's a ton
of good code in the standard library, and there's even more available on the
net.  Pick a package and read it until you understand it.  Evaluate the
problems it solves and how well it solves them.

4.  Refactor your own code, and be merciless when doing it.  There's no
teacher like breaking 10,000 lines of code.

5.  Just as you are doing now, don't stop learning.

Troy Melhase, troy at gci.net
--
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. - G. K. Chesterton