py2exe -> error in PYTHON23.DLL

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Fri Jul 2 15:04:24 EDT 2004

Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> writes:

> Using py2exe under WinMe, I bundled up a python program
> containing a single line:
>
> print "hello world"
>
> When I zip up the dist directory and move it to another WinMe
> machine, trying to run hello.exe either reboots or pops up a
> dialog box that says
>
>   Hello has caused an error in PYTHON23.DLL
>   Hello will now close
>
>   If you continue to experience problems,
>   try restarting your computer.
>
> Any ideas on what the problem might be?
>
> It runs find on the machine where I did the bundling and on
> another XP machine.
>
> The machine where I bundled up things is using py2exe 0.5.1a1
> and running
>
>   ActivePython 2.3.2 Build 232 (ActiveState Corp.) based on
>   Python 2.3.2 (#49, Nov 13 2003, 10:34:54) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32

Most of the time (but not always) the problem is that py2exe copies
system specific dlls to the dist folder.  What files do you have there?
Or could it be that the target machine doesn't have msvcrt.dll (which is
needed by the Python dll, but not copied by py2exe).

(Un?)fortunately I have no access to winME...

Thomas