py2exe -> error in PYTHON23.DLL

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Jul 2 15:33:54 EDT 2004

On 2004-07-02, Thomas Heller <theller at python.net> wrote:

> Most of the time (but not always) the problem is that py2exe
> copies system specific dlls to the dist folder.  What files do
> you have there?

$ ls -l
total 1292
-rw-r--r--  1 grante grante  45056 Jul  2 13:16 hello.exe
-rw-r--r--  1 grante grante 208795 Jul  2 13:14 library.zip
-rw-r--r--  1 grante grante 974929 Nov 13  2003 python23.dll
-rw-r--r--  1 grante grante  57421 Nov 13  2003 _sre.pyd
-rw-r--r--  1 grante grante  16384 Nov 13  2003 w9xpopen.exe

> Or could it be that the target machine doesn't have msvcrt.dll
> (which is needed by the Python dll, but not copied by py2exe).

The destination system has two copies of msvcrt.dll in

  C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
  C:\Program files\Aladdin Systems\StuffIt Standard

> (Un?)fortunately I have no access to winME...

The failure seems to be intermittent.  About 1 of 3 tries it
will run.  Other times it fails with failures equally divided
between reboots and error dialogs.

The flakey machine had a fresh install of WinMe done about two
months ago with nothing much besides Cygwin installed since
then. I guess I'll just write it off to standard Windows
flakiness.  Why people put up with that sort of behavior in an
OS baffles me.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Mary Tyler Moore's
                                  at               SEVENTH HUSBAND is wearing