How big is python24.dll?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Jul 13 12:58:16 EDT 2004

Hye-Shik Chang wrote:

> I'm +0 for splitting CJKCodecs out from python24.dll if you are
> insisting on that.  CJKCodecs will get bigger because of importing
> of CNS-11643 and BIG5HKSCS soon (about +400KB).  Then:
>
>   libpython24.dll w CJKCodecs inside:   1700 KB
>   libpython24.dll w/o CJKCodecs inside: 1144 KB
>
> After CJKCodecs 1.1's importing, over half of python24.dll will be
> filled with CJKCodecs.  I undertand that this can make Western users
> uncomfortable.  And, CJKCodecs 1.1 will be consisted of only 5
> modules (not 25+ modules as currently in python CVS).

Why is anyone concerned about the number of modules, whether 5
or 25 (for CJKCodecs) or any other number (for the various .pyd
files etc)?  Once you've got more than a small handful, like
two or maybe three tops, nobody is supposed to do any manual
installation by copying individual files around.  Using distutils
or a Windows installer you basically needn't even _know_ there
are all those files, almost even if you are the programmer!

-Peter