Test if IDLE is a mature program

Dave Harris dpharris76 at msn.com
Thu Jan 1 17:48:06 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Gauld" <alan.gauld at btinternet.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
To: <python-list at python.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2004 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: Test if IDLE is a mature program

> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:48:59 -0500, "Aubrey Hutchison"
> <abhjrpe at comcast.net> wrote:
> > I understand the problem of using the names of common modules...
> >
> > But why do we need to work around that problem..
>

> However your test of maturity is completely bogus, it is an issue
> of user error not IDLE error. How do you think IDLE should handle
> the case you describe? How would it know whether you intended a
> name clash or not?

The word 'test' has appeared so many times in this thread that I have to
mention a name conflict that has to have bitten _every_ UNIX shell
scripter. How many of you will fess up to have written a script named
'test' and were puzzled when it did not run??

UNIX and sh fail to be mature by the proposed measure. How much longer till
they 'come of age'?

Anecdotally,
Dave Harris