Test if IDLE is a mature program

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 1 17:34:12 EST 2004

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:48:59 -0500, "Aubrey Hutchison"
<abhjrpe at comcast.net> wrote:
> I understand the problem of using the names of common modules...
>
> But why do we need to work around that problem..

For the same reason you have to do it in any development tool.
Name clashes are the programmers responsibility not the tool
makers, there is no sane way for a tool maker to avoid user
stupidity.

> My position still stands
> This program does not really provide a credit to PYYHON.

On your general point that IDLE is not a mature product you are
correct, it is only at version 1.0 with Python 2.3. Name me any
product (except maybe TeX) that was mature at version 1.0.
I remember using Visual Basic at v1.0 and it definitely wasn't
mature...

However your test of maturity is completely bogus, it is an issue
of user error not IDLE error. How do you think IDLE should handle
the case you describe? How would it know whether you intended a
name clash or not?

Alan G.
Author of the Learn to Program website