wxPython worries

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Wed Jan 14 20:48:17 EST 2004

James Goldwater <james at eccehomo.co.uk> writes:

> It's not the RADdish-ness (is that a word?) - drag'n'drop, property
> assignment etc - that concerns me, it's the ease of gui building - by
> hand is fine (oh how I've come to 'love' Java's layout managers...)

I'll make my usual comment, which is that nobody has yet contradicted
me (unusual on USENET ;-) that Qt is the most well-designed Python GUI
framework.  (Qt Designer is very good, too.)

And, strangely, the PyQt commercial license is far cheaper than (C++)
Qt.  $400 for former (Blackadder, from theKompany.com), $2500-odd for
the latter!

(before somebody asks: no, you *don't* need both licenses -- only the
cheap one from theKompany, who have an agreement with trolltech)

I believe Blackadder comes with Python-specific docs for PyQt, but
they're actually completely redundant, IMHO -- it's trivial to
translate the C++ docs to Python code, using the list of exceptions
distributed with PyQt.  Another BTW: their FAQ page still says
Blackadder is in beta, but I think somebody here mentioned the final
version was actually released some while back (PyQt itself has been
stable for years, of course).

> Custom controls is the biggie then. I think I'll have a punt at
[...]

PyQt is certainly good at this.

John