wxPython worries

Joe Francia usenet at -OBFUSCATION-joefrancia.com
Wed Jan 14 22:44:18 EST 2004

John J. Lee wrote:
> I'll make my usual comment, which is that nobody has yet contradicted
> me (unusual on USENET ;-) that Qt is the most well-designed Python GUI
> framework.  (Qt Designer is very good, too.)

I'll second that, and go as far as to say it's a very good GUI framework
no matter how you speak to it.

> And, strangely, the PyQt commercial license is far cheaper than (C++)
> Qt.  $400 for former (Blackadder, from theKompany.com), $2500-odd for
> the latter!

$400 is for preofessional use.  For personal use, it's $80, but you lose
the right to distribute your apps (but maybe not if you release them
under the GPL - I should look into that).

> I believe Blackadder comes with Python-specific docs for PyQt, but
> they're actually completely redundant, IMHO -- it's trivial to
> translate the C++ docs to Python code, using the list of exceptions
> distributed with PyQt.

You do get a copy of the docs with your BA purchase.  The Kompany also
sells the PyQt docs separately for $20 for a one-time purchase, or $70
for a yearly subscription; that is, all updates for one year are included.

Another BTW: their FAQ page still says
> Blackadder is in beta, but I think somebody here mentioned the final
> version was actually released some while back (PyQt itself has been
> stable for years, of course).

It is indeed stable.  The one thing I don't like about BlackAdder is
BlackAdder itself, the editor portion.  It's not terrible - it just
doesn't behave quite like I expect a dedicated Python editor to behave.
  I usually create my GUI in the Qt Designer, and then edit the Python
stuff in Eric (Linux) or SciTE (win32).