wxPython worries

Joe Francia usenet at -OBFUSCATION-joefrancia.com
Wed Jan 14 15:03:09 EST 2004

James Goldwater wrote:
> I'm starting a new hopfully-commercial project soon, and I face a
> dilemma about whether Python with wxPython would be appropriate.
>
> The project has 3 main areas:
>
> a) manipulation of lists and trees, using..
> b) a hopefully dead-sexy gui, all in order to...
> c) eventually pump out certain bits of the datastructure over the
> network in semi-realtime (< 10ms accuracy or so).
>
> The target is Win32 for now (98 - XP). Now, if it were up to me, I'd use
> Delphi - it's what I know best.  But I'm working with a less experienced
> developer with whom I have no languages in common.  He's keen to get
> started on C#, I've toyed with C# and though it looks easy, I don't see
> any major gains over what I already know.
>
> I've read a lot about python and done some mini-stuff in it, and been
> impressed with it's ease and conciseness.  What worries me is wxPython:
> looking at the demo code, it's quite verbose and 'bitty'.  I'm also
> unclear as to how easy custom controls are to build.
>
> Am I just being confused by my newbie-ness, or are my initial concerns
> justified?  What's anybody else's experiences with gui programming in
> wxPython like vs a RAD like Delphi or .NET?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James.

I share your concerns with wxPython - it's a good, powerful toolkit, but
it lacks consistent and clear documentation, and a decent screen painter
(wxGlade probably is the most complete).

If you have the budget (USD 399 per developer), you may want look at
BlackAdder from The Kompany.  It uses the PyQt bindings for the Qt
toolkit, which I find to be a bit better than wxPython/wxWindows, a bit
more polished and consistent. The package includes the BlackAdder
editor, the QtDesigner, PyQt docs and a license to redistribute the PyQt
libraries for win32 (which is really what you're paying for - most of
this is available for free on GPL'ed systems).

Another option is to extend/embed Python with Delphi; specifically, use
Delphi for the GUI, and Python for the logic.  There's some Delphi
bindings and documentation here:

http://membres.lycos.fr/marat/delphi/python.htm
http://www.atug.com/andypatterns/pythonDelphiTalk.htm