Does anyone else not find the fun in programming...?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 13 18:13:53 EST 2004

On 13 Jan 2004 08:23:46 -0800, chris.lyon at spritenote.co.uk (Chris
Lyon) wrote:
> I find python very effective as a language and can generally project
> most of my hazy thoughts into it. But FUN !!! This is work dammit,

When I was a working programmer I kind of felt the same way.

But then I became a designer and now cherish the time I spend
writing code (and not just in Python, even C++, Lisp and
Delphi)- because it is fun! :-)

> programming is fun. Football (association) is fun, walking along
> canals is fun, Arguing about quite how useless the British Government
> is fun but programming  ?

Its fun like doing a jigsaw is fun, or a crossword. Its about
problem solving. Its about finding elegant solutions to problems.
If you don't enjoy doing the puzzle page in your daily newspaper
you probably won't enjoy programming... Probably a bad example
since zillions of crossword haters will now say how much they
enjoy programming! :-)

But its in that ballpark IMHO.

Alan G.
Author of the Learn to Program website