Does anyone else not find the fun in programming...?

Asun Friere afriere at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 13 19:22:19 EST 2004

chris.lyon at spritenote.co.uk (Chris Lyon) wrote in message news:<d232c5e.0401130823.27fd26ff at posting.google.com>...
> I find python very effective as a language and can generally project
> most of my hazy thoughts into it. But FUN !!! This is work dammit,
> I have now ground my teeth down from the number of times I read that
> programming is fun. Football (association) is fun, walking along
> canals is fun, Arguing about quite how useless the British Government
> is fun but programming  ?
>
> Do I need help ?

Maybe you just need another vocation.  Work and fun are not
necessarily mutually exclusive.  Considering the proportion of your
life you will spend at work, you ought to make damn sure they aren't!

Programming is such fun that I'm happy (almost) every day to be going
to work.  Which is more than I can say about various other jobs I've
had.  OK so maybe it can be painful at times (like when I have to work
with XSLT :o), but designing and implementing solutions in Python (or
watching my little creatures take on a life of their own - which is
how I look at OOP - hmm maybe I need help?), is just plain fun.  Which
is not to say football, walking and arguing are not.