Lua versus C++ for embedded processor

John Benson jsbenson at bensonsystems.com
Wed Jan 14 16:04:53 EST 2004

Regarding the message appended below: I was in a similar situation, only I
had 4 "small" (RAM-wise) legacy processors in a fault-tolerant Tandem K100
system. The system came with an old Borland C++ compiler but I didn't want
to become an expert in anachronistic C++ trivia, so I ported Lua
(www.lua.org) using the perfectly serviceable C compiler. Although I still
need to put in library extensions to access the Tandem's Guardian OS API,
Lua came up quick and easy, gave me object-oriented scripting and provided
access to the applicable portion of the C Standard Library.

I've programmed Z-World Z-180-based embedded microcontrollers in their
Dynamic C language, and will be using their products again but I'm seriously
considering porting Lua in via Dynamic C so I can have object-oriented
scripting to facilitate prototyping and systems integration work. Whether it
will work out in this case is not clear yet, but the Tandem port worked
fine. Maybe Lua has a place in your embedded application, if there isn't
enough infrastructure for Python.

As for C++ on microcontrollers, I have absolutely no idea what the pros and
cons are. Any ideas out there on whether C++ is a good fit there?

Message: 5