Lua versus C++ for embedded processor

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Jan 15 11:32:28 EST 2004

(Sorry for off-topic posts...)

John Benson wrote:

> Maybe Lua has a place in your embedded application, if there isn't
> enough infrastructure for Python.

That's something I should seriously investigate.  I did consider FORTH
but encountered the usual emotional block which always shows up: the
language is just too "weird" for most people, and I can't saddle the
company with a maintenance issue like that.  It just doesn't seem
feasible to expect all the developers to have to learn FORTH just to
write for our embedded products.

Lua, on the other hand, as I understand it, is much more traditional in
flavour and (therefore?) easier to read, so it feels more likely to
find a place.  Thanks for the suggestion.

> As for C++ on microcontrollers, I have absolutely no idea what the pros and
> cons are. Any ideas out there on whether C++ is a good fit there?

I believe the same pros and cons apply there as they do anywhere.  Easier
to handle complexity (e.g. encapsulating hardware with clean driver objects)
etc, but possible impact on performance.

-Peter