internationalisation/gettext - any sample (.MO) data available ?

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Tue Feb 3 06:55:13 EST 2004

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 07:07:37PM -0800, Richard Shea wrote:
> Hi - I'd like to try applying internationalisation techniques to get
> an idea of how much extra work is involved.
>
> As a first step I'm looking at the class based gettext. I just
> wondered if anyone knew of some ready made .MO files I could use - I
> don't care what the subject matter is I just want something realistic
> to work with

I've heard that when the folks at Red Hat decided to add i18n to their
installer, they used a filter program to translate the existing
english-language prompts into "redneck".  That way, english-speaking
developers could still use the software when testing the completeness of
the i18n work.

http://www.xent.com/FoRK-archive/jun98/0010.html

Perhaps you could do the same as a way to get your test data.

Jeff