Qt/PyQt license confusion

Ken Godee ken at perfect-image.com
Fri Feb 6 10:06:10 EST 2004

>>Under windows commercial, you could distribute, but...
>>it has to been done in a way that does not allow
>>user direct access to the underlying Qt/Pyqt base
>>code. So they could not use to create there own programs.
>
> Does this mean I couldn't distribute the Qt/PyQT DLL's still as they
> could be used to run other Py[Qt] apps, I guess static (McMillan
> Installer) binaries would be OK....

The PyQt site has some Howto's on how to package up your
apps under win/linux.

> I wonder if it might be worth getting BA for the PyQt license and the
> book for the full Qt license (i.e. it works with C++ too) although
> that's $110+ now....

If you buy the BA lic. you get current version
of Qt/PyQt combo for win/linux.
$80.00

If you buy the book, you get NON-COMMERCIAL Qt only, which
you already got with BA.

I've got a copy of the book coming as we speak, $31 @ amazon
I think $31 just to have the book as a reference by itself
is worth the money and as far as these types of books go, that's a very
resonable price. Wanna buy a shelf full of Perl books?

>>I went through the same thing, going back
>>and forth with wxpy/pyqt, installed and have
>>used both. I'm staying in the PyQt camp and
>>have found very little use (none yet) for win
>>or commercial use. The little tool kit one
>>can put together is outstanding.....
>>Qt, Qt Assistant, Qt Designer,
>>PyQt, pyuic, eric3, etc......
>

> Well I'm not a very "visual" style programmer so Designer/pyuic are
> not really for me, but the Python version of Assistant looks very
> promising (as I hate the C++ docs, when you're coding Python!)

I tell ya, using Designer/pyuic one can belt out a pretty
complex form in a fraction of the time. If you haven't atleast
gave it a good go, you should.

I'm sure you know already, but you can buy just the Qt c++ docs
converted to PyQt for $20 as a stand alone.