Qt/PyQt license confusion

Ken Godee ken at perfect-image.com
Thu Feb 5 10:41:17 EST 2004

simo wrote:

> For the moment this is just for my own tinkering and utility apps, but
> I wouldn't mind being able to distribute them too - freeware/GPL or
> whatever, not commercially.
>
> It seems there are numerous sources of a Windows license:
>
> C++ GUI Programming with Qt 3 book (includes Qt 3.2 "book license",
> 32usd)
>
> TheKompany's BlackAdder (comes with PyQt and Qt limited to Python
> license - not C++, "personal use", 80usd)
>
> PyQt license from Riverbank (250usd only supports Qt commercial, not
> non-commercial or even evaluation!)
>
> So it's looking like BlackAdder is the best choice, although I'm still
> not sure if that includes a PyQt license as BA is commercial, so is it
> stupid enough to not include a commercial PyQt license?! And if it's
> limited to "personal use" whatever that is, then surely it's not a
> commercial license of either tool?

Yes, I aggree is confusing, here's how I understand (some of)it...

BlackAdder is best deal around,

personal version (win/linux), $80 includes both Qt/PyQt lic.
for personal use. Personal use means your free to use
for your own use. Can not distribute, commercially, or
use in a business setting, even for your own use.

Business/Commercial version (win/linux), $380? includes both Qt/PyQt
commercial lic. per developer with rights to distribute.

Here's the confusing part....
If you package up any of the above....

Under windows personal, you can only give the code
to another user, friend etc., they would have to have
thier own Qt/PyQt personal lic. to run it on windows.

Under windows commercial, you could distribute, but...
it has to been done in a way that does not allow
user direct access to the underlying Qt/Pyqt base
code. So they could not use to create there own programs.

> I don't know what kinda of license comes with the book - if it's not
> commercial then PyQt won't support it anyway - maybe it's a kind of
> education license?

Non-Commercial lic., PyQt is still deciding wether they
are going to release a win non-commercial version to coinside
with the new Trolltech non-commercial win release.
They did with the older Qt 2.3 win non-commerial.

I personally think people get to caught up in all this
and try to cover everything from tinkering to commercial
distribution before they even start programming.

It's free to tinker with on linux and distribute
code gpl'd.

Then if you want to tinker on windows, you
could probally still find the old Qt/PyQt win
non-commercial 2.3 version around or wait until
PyQt release a win non-commercial version to
go with the new Qt win non-commercial release
or pay $80 for BlackAdder.

If all that goes so well, you would like
to use/distribute programs written with
Qt/PyQt, $400 seems like a small investment.

I went through the same thing, going back
and forth with wxpy/pyqt, installed and have
used both. I'm staying in the PyQt camp and
have found very little use (none yet) for win
or commercial use. The little tool kit one
can put together is outstanding.....
Qt, Qt Assistant, Qt Designer,
PyQt, pyuic, eric3, etc......