Qt/PyQt license confusion

simo simoninusa2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 4 12:54:14 EST 2004

OK, so I'm at the stage where I want to make a choice between wxPython
and PyQt.

Currently I'm using wxPython mainly due to the fact that it has GPL
Linux and Windows versions.

I prefer Qt to wxWindows, but am confused with all the Windows
licensing issues.

For the moment this is just for my own tinkering and utility apps, but
I wouldn't mind being able to distribute them too - freeware/GPL or
whatever, not commercially.

It seems there are numerous sources of a Windows license:

C++ GUI Programming with Qt 3 book (includes Qt 3.2 "book license",
32usd)

TheKompany's BlackAdder (comes with PyQt and Qt limited to Python
license - not C++, "personal use", 80usd)

PyQt license from Riverbank (250usd only supports Qt commercial, not
non-commercial or even evaluation!)

Qt Windows commercial license from Trolltech (1550usd or 2500usd for
Win+Lin)

So it's looking like BlackAdder is the best choice, although I'm still
not sure if that includes a PyQt license as BA is commercial, so is it
stupid enough to not include a commercial PyQt license?! And if it's
limited to "personal use" whatever that is, then surely it's not a
commercial license of either tool?

I don't know what kinda of license comes with the book - if it's not
commercial then PyQt won't support it anyway - maybe it's a kind of
education license?

I'm not paying 1550+250usd just to write Windows apps for myself, and
even if I bought a 250usd PyQt license, I'd still not be able to
evaluate Qt before paying the 1550usd!

So how does everyone else do it - you can't just be writing Linux apps
using PyQt - what's the point of a cross-platform GUI toolkit that you
can only afford to use on one platform?!

Also, can I even use py2exe or McMillan Installer to distribute
commercial versions of anything, as they are GPL tool IIRC...?