Qt/PyQt license confusion

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-benfinney-does-too.id.au
Thu Feb 5 01:14:24 EST 2004

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 13:08:44 -0800, Josiah Carlson wrote:
> If you modify a piece of GPL'd software and distribute it, you must
> distribute the source of the modified GPL'd software.
>
> If you /use/ a piece of GPL'd software to create 'something else', and
> the 'something else' gets distributed, you have used the GPL'd software
> as a tool - and are /not required/ to license your 'something else' with
> the GPL.

More precisely, you only create a derivative work if your work is based
on the copyrightable part of the original work.  Using a tool (such as a
text editor) that doesn't include parts of itself in the result, is not
creating a derivative work of the tool.

This question is covered in the GPL FAQ at the GNU website:

    <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#CanIUseGPLToolsForNF>

--
 \     "I must say that I find television very educational. The minute |
  `\   somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book."  -- |