Python 3000, zip, *args and iterators

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Dec 27 01:34:26 EST 2004

"Steven Bethard" <steven.bethard at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:O5Jzd.566495$wV.471519 at attbi_s54...
> Terry Reedy wrote:
>> I think it worth repeating that Python 3 is at yet something of a
>> pipedream, as indicated by the joke name Python 3000

> Right, though my understanding of PEP 3000[1] is that though "Python
> 3000"  may never exist, the PEP is there as a road-map of where Python as
> a language would like to go.

A major backwards compatibility break will not happen without a major
number change to Py3.  And I expect it to happen -- the 'as yet' was
intentional.  In fact, here is my New Year's prediction (with subjective
certainty > .5):

a. The PyPy project will succeed.
b. Python3 (actually, the reference implementation thereof) will be written
in Python3 (perhaps with 'draft' in Py2).
c. We will see it within 5 years.

We will see if I am any better than the tabloid 'psychics'.

>I guess the point of my question is to find out if this kind of nice
>interaction of *args and iterators is something that's in the road-map.
>If it is, then maybe there are parts of it that could be implemented in a
>way that's backwards compatible, even if the full system wouldn't be
>available for some time.  (Perhaps something along the lines of "from
>__future__ import iter_args".)

You can certainly share your concerns with the PEP author.  I believe that
there is also a PyWiki page that you can directly add to.

Terry J. Reedy