Python 3000, zip, *args and iterators

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 19:57:18 EST 2004

Terry Reedy wrote:
> "Steven Bethard" <steven.bethard at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:3yGzd.289258$HA.962 at attbi_s01...
>
>>So, as I understand it, in Python 3000, zip will basically be replaced
>>with izip, meaning that instead of returning a list, it will return an
>>iterator.
>
> I think it worth repeating that Python 3 is at yet something of a
> pipedream, as indicated by the joke name Python 3000 (that also being in
> part a satire on Windows 2000, and the like).

True, true.  And worth repeating.

> So, while Guido has said he
> would like to make Python iterator-oriented in the way that it used to be
> list-oriented, nothing is set in stone, certainly not the details.

Right, though my understanding of PEP 3000[1] is that though "Python
3000"  may never exist, the PEP is there as a road-map of where Python
as a language would like to go.  I guess the point of my question is to
find out if this kind of nice interaction of *args and iterators is
something that's in the road-map.  If it is, then maybe there are parts
of it that could be implemented in a way that's backwards compatible,
even if the full system wouldn't be available for some time.  (Perhaps
something along the lines of "from __future__ import iter_args".)

Steve

[1] http://www.python.org/peps/pep-3000.html