Python 2.4 and Tkinter

Jeffrey Barish jeffbarish at starband.net
Wed Dec 1 21:23:11 EST 2004

Jean Brouwers wrote:

> FWIW, we just installed Python 2.4 (on RH Linx 8), rebuilt it from
> scratch and everything is fine.  Tkinter is there, _tkinter as well
> and idle comes up as expected.
>
> /Jean Brouwers
>

> In article <mailman.6996.1101939598.5135.python-list at python.org>,
> Jeffrey Barish <jeffbarish at starband.net> wrote:
>
>> http://www.python.org/moin/TkInter

Here's what I get when I import Tkinter at a python prompt:

jeffbarish at duo:~$ python
Python 2.4 (#1, Nov 30 2004, 08:58:13)
[GCC 3.2.3 20030316 (Debian prerelease)] on linux2
>>> import Tkinter
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 38, in ?
    import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured
for Tk
ImportError: No module named _tkinter

I tried make clean and make.  Same result.  Ah, now I see that the
output from make includes:

INFO: Can't locate Tcl/Tk libs and/or headers

Aren't the libs and headers included in Python-2.4.tgz?
--
Jeffrey Barish