Python 2.4 and Tkinter

Jean Brouwers mrjean1ATcomcastDOTnet at no.spam.net
Thu Dec 2 00:16:03 EST 2004

Here is how we understand this (which may be incomplete and/or
incorrect).

The _tkinter module is a shared library _tkinter.o and that is built
from C source file _tkinter.c.  That C file and a few other tk related
C files are included in the Python distribution.

But the Tcl/Tk libraries to build the _tkinter module are coming from
/usr/local/lib in our case.  And those happens to be tcl83 and tk83 in
our case.

If the Tcl/Tk libraries (and include files) are missing, you will have
to get and install those.  But they are not part of the Python
distribution, as far as we know.

/Jean Brouwers