Best GUI for small-scale accounting app?

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 08:37:23 EST 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:20:43 +0100, Bulba! <bulba at bulba.com> wrote:
> On 20 Dec 2004 04:43:06 -0800, Paul Rubin
> >I'd try to make it web based unless
> >there's a good reason not to.
>
> Reason 1: It would be somewhat complex to develop it using
> PHP (I have done some recon in that area) and using GUI
> on Windows is actually faster way of entering and editing data
> than via the Web browser I think.
>
> Reason 2: I don't want to learn yet another language
> just for this app and want to avoid integration problems
> as we plan to develop yet another application for other workers
> that would connect to the common DB and sent the data directly
> for that accounting app.

Two good reasons indeed. There are some types of data entry tasks that
don't map well to the browser. Rich grid style data entry just comes
to mind, it requires a ton of Javascript code, not to mention XMLRPC,
if you want it to be dynamic and responsive. But if the data entry
forms are simple, I recommend you to check some lightweight approaches
for Web development in Python. I personally used CherryPy
(www.cherrypy.org); you can also check Quixote or Snakelets. All three
are much lighter than Zope. CherryPy in particular is extremely light
and easy to work with, and includes a reasonably powerful embedded
Python-based webserver; it's not Apache, but it's much easier to set
up. And all three options are free.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos