Confused about pep 318

Edward K. Ream edreamleo at charter.net
Thu Aug 5 13:35:57 EDT 2004

> > There had previously been no public discussions about it.

> Nonsense.

I could not disagree more.  Pretending that discussions on py-dev and
SourceForge count as truly public discussions of pep 318 is most unwise.
pep 318 does not discuss '@' at all.  People like me, with a strong interest
in how Python uses '@', would not naturally have known about the proposed
new syntax until the stuff hit the fan.

Indeed, pep 318 is grossly misleading; reading it one gets the distinct
impression that the design is far from complete.  It is my strong opinion
that _no_ public discussion of this new code has taken place, and none _can_
take place until we see what it is exactly that is being proposed.  This is
an issue of basic fairness and openness.  I have complained loudly to the
[B]DFL.  We shall see...

Edward
Edward K. Ream   email:  edreamleo at charter.net
Leo: Literate Editor with Outlines