Confused about pep 318

Christopher T King squirrel at WPI.EDU
Thu Aug 5 14:22:43 EDT 2004

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Anthony Baxter wrote:

> To summarise: As I've stated already, I'm aware that PEP 318 needs an
> update. If no-one else gets it done before next week, I will have time
> to work on it again. If one of the people complaining about it wants to
> sit down and trawl the (literally)  hundreds and hundreds of python-dev
> messages, spread over the last 2+ years, and extract the relevant posts,
> that would be excellent! If you're only going to sit and bitch about it,
> well, I can spend my time better trawling the archives.

I'd be willing to do this this weekend (esp. being Python Bug Day),
assuming Skip doesn't get to it first.

On a related note, I suggest anyone interested read this thread on
python-dev, "Call for defense of @decorators":
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-August/046878.html

In it, Guido makes some very interesting remarks, most notably:

 I also want to find out about superior syntax proposals (from __future__
 import decorators might be acceptable).

and

 ... I suggest that the proponents of syntax alternatives will have
 to agree amongst themselves on a single alternative that they can
 present to me.