Paul Graham on Python hackers

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Sun Aug 8 03:20:09 EDT 2004

    zoltan> This a flamebait, right? Otherwise I would be interested
    zoltan> in the features which make Python similar to Java
    zoltan> (shudder).

    Mike> Ville Vainio:

    >> Abundant reference semantics. Of course this is true of all OOP

    Mike> What are "Abundant reference semantics"?

References are used all over the language:

MyClass o = GetObject();

MyClass o2 = o;  // o2 will point to the name object

This is much like in Python (being the optimal way of doing OOP after
all), and in contrast to Perl and C++ that have special syntax for
using references/pointers.

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb