Paul Graham on Python hackers

Kirk Job-Sluder kirk at eyegor.jobsluder.net
Sat Aug 7 13:03:18 EDT 2004

On 2004-08-07, Zoltan Sekeres <zoltan at teliko.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 22:23:59 -0700, ellisjb wrote:
>> (In all seriousness I think python and java have a lot more in common than
>> python and perl.)
>
> This a flamebait, right? Otherwise I would be interested in the features
> which make Python similar to Java (shudder).

In previous writings Graham tends to focus more on language fundamentals
rather than the scope of features or the process of compilation.  Python
is closer to Java in that they are both strongly Object Oriented languages in
contrast to perl's OO framework that feels more bolted on than integral
to me.  Both Python and Java tend to focus on providing a single clear
interface to a function rather than a multitude of synonyms and
syntaxes.  Conceptually, python is closer to java.  In terms of actual
implementation, python is closer to perl.