Paul Graham on Python hackers

beliavsky at aol.com beliavsky at aol.com
Mon Aug 9 08:48:05 EDT 2004

Kirk Job-Sluder <kirk at eyegor.jobsluder.net> wrote in message news:<slrncha2q0.1sd3.kirk at eyegor.jobsluder.net>...

> In previous writings Graham tends to focus more on language fundamentals
> rather than the scope of features or the process of compilation.  Python
> is closer to Java in that they are both strongly Object Oriented languages in
> contrast to perl's OO framework that feels more bolted on than integral
> to me.

Python, unlike Java, does not force OOP upon you -- it can be treated
as an imperative language. I think this is a plus especially when
first learning the language or writing small programs. A Hello World
program is just

print "Hello, World"

rather than

class HelloWorldApp {
        System.out.println("Hello World!"); //Display the string.
    }
}

Python to me is a multi-paradigm language (imperative, OO, functional,
generic), like C++ but interpreted and with dynamic typing.