Barcode Layout

Aaron Bingham bingham at cenix-bioscience.com
Wed Aug 4 07:37:37 EDT 2004

Hello,

We are dealing with barcodes a lot and we want to be able specify the
layout of a barcode label in a device-independant way and then output
to, e.g., a wxWindow, a PostScript file or a special-purpose barcode
printer.  We want to specify higher-level entities (e.g. barcode) in the
layout directly.  Backends will either output corresponding high-level
printer commands (barcode printer) or construct the entities from
lower-level primitives (wxWindows, PostScript).

I've been looking at Piddle (http://piddle.sourceforge.net/) and it
appears we could write a backend to support our barcode printer with
extra methods for higher-level entities, but I'm reluctant committing to
apparent abandonware.

Does anyone have experience doing similar things with Piddle?  Are there
any plans to maintain/enhance/replace Piddle?  Are there other packages
I should look at?

Thanks,

Aaron Bingham
Application Developer