Barcode Layout

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 4 13:14:43 EDT 2004

    Aaron> I've been looking at Piddle
    Aaron> (http://piddle.sourceforge.net/) and it appears we could
    Aaron> write a backend to support our barcode printer with extra
    Aaron> methods for higher-level entities, but I'm reluctant
    Aaron> committing to apparent abandonware. Does anyone have
    Aaron> experience doing similar things with Piddle?  Are there any
    Aaron> plans to maintain/enhance/replace Piddle?  Are there other
    Aaron> packages I should look at?

While piddle may very well serve your purposes, you may want to
consider using a more active project.  The last piddle update was in
2002.

I am the author of matplotlib - a 2D plotting library for python.
Like piddle, it is organized around various backends.  It is a very
active project, with a number of developers who make regular
contributions in addition to myself.  We have PS/EPS, SVG, wxpython,
gtk, tkinter, agg (pngs) and more.  It is fairly easy to write a new
backend if you need to for your barcode printer (4 backends are user
contributed).

You could create your barcode using the matplotlib drawing/plotting
functions, or by working directly with the matplotlib drawing
primitives, and then display them in the hardcopy or GUI backend of
your choice.

    Homepage:  http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/

    Template for backend writers: http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/matplotlib.backends.backend_template.html

    Screenshots: http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

With matplotlib, you have full control over all line properties --
line width, color, dash styles, cap and join styles, etc.. -- as well
as nice rendering features not found in many older drawing libraries
(alpha, antialiasing).

JDH