Barcode Layout

Aaron Bingham bingham at cenix-bioscience.com
Thu Aug 5 07:35:19 EDT 2004

John Hunter wrote:

>    Aaron> I've been looking at Piddle
>    Aaron> (http://piddle.sourceforge.net/) and it appears we could
>    Aaron> write a backend to support our barcode printer with extra
>    Aaron> methods for higher-level entities, but I'm reluctant
>    Aaron> committing to apparent abandonware. Does anyone have
>    Aaron> experience doing similar things with Piddle?  Are there any
>    Aaron> plans to maintain/enhance/replace Piddle?  Are there other
>    Aaron> packages I should look at?
>
>I am the author of matplotlib - a 2D plotting library for python.
>Like piddle, it is organized around various backends.  It is a very
>active project, with a number of developers who make regular
>contributions in addition to myself.  We have PS/EPS, SVG, wxpython,
>gtk, tkinter, agg (pngs) and more.  It is fairly easy to write a new
>backend if you need to for your barcode printer (4 backends are user
>contributed).

Hi John,

Thanks for the pointer.  As it happens, I was already looking at matlibplot.

One thing about piddle that's a good fit for our needs is that we can
add methods to the canvases e.g. drawBarcode() just by adding that
method to our backends.  Is there any easy way to add such high-level
drawing commands in matlibplot that are passed down to the backend level?

Thanks,

Aaron Bingham
Application Developer
Cenix BioScience GmbH