Python future performance and speed

Paul Rubin http
Mon Aug 23 14:54:49 EDT 2004

Jeremy Sanders <jeremy+plusnews at jeremysanders.net> writes:
> > Sometimes that happens.  Other times it really is too slow, and I rewrite
> > it in C.  Other times Python is too bloated and I can't even consider
> > using it; for example, in anything that users need to download without a
> > big fuss.
>
> Most Linux distributions include python as standard, so the users only
> need to download your script (which will probably be smaller than the
> equivalent C code).

IMO, mainstream applications are applications that are used by a big
chunk of the general public.  That can include server side
applications (e.g.  I'd consider Google web search to be a mainstream
application) as well as stuff like MS Office.  The server side stuff
can of course run on Linux or anything else the implementers chose.
But I wouldn't consider any Linux client side application to be
mainstream.  Much as I wish it were otherwise, there just aren't that
many people running Linux on their home computers.