Python future performance and speed

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Aug 23 11:31:52 EDT 2004

Anthony Baxter <anthonybaxter at gmail.com> writes:

> On 21 Aug 2004 20:59:35 -0700, Paul Rubin
> <"http://phr.cx"@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> > Well, whenever I want to write a mainstream application and think of
> > using Python, my first reaction is that Python is too slow...
>
> Too slow for what?
>
> I'm not being facetious here - what exactly are the bits of Python that
> are too slow? I used to think this as well, but see my PyCon paper from
> earlier this year.

Well, Python's pretty bad for things stuff like adaptive numerical
methods (the point of "adaptive" is that you can't do lots of problems
at once using numarray or similar, or at least I couldn't work out how
when I was an undergraduate :-).

Cheers,
mwh

--
  But maybe I've just programmed in enough different languages to
  assume that they are, in fact, different.