Python future performance and speed

Arthur Rambo arambo314 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 23 19:45:30 EDT 2004

OK guys.

Now that you've debated at length of the first question addressed by
Neuruss (Python limitations for mainstream acceptance), why not come
back to the other aspects addressed:

- dynamic languages getting closer to static languages in terms of
speed
- the future of Psyco, Pypy, Starkiller, Ironpython and other similar
projects.

What do you think? I'm sure many of us are interested in those issues
(didn't the widely respected Jim Hugunin mainly advertise IronPython
through its relative speed to C Python? Cf. the page title and first
item on http://ironpython.com).

Whatever the reasons for which making Python faster is desirable or
not, it represents a very interesting technical challenge. Do you
think those projects will succeed? Which other techniques do you see
as promising?

Arthur