JPEG2000 support?

Dave Benjamin ramen at lackingtalent.com
Sun Aug 8 14:01:29 EDT 2004

In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0407251619170.20890-100000 at ccc6.wpi.edu>, Christopher T King wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Kyler Laird wrote:
>
>> I'm getting ready to build an application around a big JPEG2000
>> image but I haven't found any Python support for JPEG2000.
>>
>> I plan to just use an external call to JasPer to handle the
>> conversion for now but I'd prefer to have a better integrated
>> solution.  Are any Python libraries likely to have support for
>> it soon?  My searches are yielding surprisingly little.
>
> PyMagick is a Python interface to the powerful, cross-platform ImageMagick
> graphics package, which supports JPEG2000 through an external library.
> So unlike something like PIL, you'd also need to install ImageMagick
> (compiled with JPEG2000 support) and a JPEG2000 library, but it seems to
> be very well integrated with Python, PIL, and numeric.

Which PyMagick are you referring to?

This one: http://starship.python.net/crew/zack/pymagick/
Or this one: http://pythonmagick.procoders.net/

Pros/cons of each? I've used the one at procoders, but I had problems with
it conflicting with my standalone ImageMagick DLLs (on Windows, of course).
I'm also a bit confused as to the real and practical difference between
"ImageMagick" and "GraphicsMagick".

Thanks,
Dave

--
  .:[ dave benjamin: ramen/[sp00] -:- spoomusic.com -:- ramenfest.com ]:.
         "talking about music is like dancing about architecture."