Newbie Question about Python as a language

bruno modulix onurb at xiludom.gro
Sun Aug 8 14:37:04 EDT 2004

Dave Brueck a écrit :
> bruno modulix wrote:
>
>> Dave Brueck a écrit :

>> (snip)

>>> If your development style _requires_ a visual dev environment then
>>> Python may not be for you - it doesn't have IDEs as mature as e.g.
>>> Microsoft Visual Studio.
>>
>> It does :
>> http://www.activestate.com/Products/Visual_Python/
>

> Nope - that doesn't quite cut it. Granted, I may be misunderstanding
> what the OP is asking for, but I assume that since he was using VB and
> is asking about a *visual* development environment, he is probably
> looking for the ability to visually build GUIs (and have tight
> integration - auto-code generation for it and all).
> AFAIK Visual Python doesn't have this - yeah it's a plugin for a more
> mature IDE, but it doesn't enjoy the same level of support in that IDE
> as e.g. C++. Other Python tools are getting there, but they aren't as
> mature yet.

IDE and RAD are two distinct things IMHO (well, I may be a bit biased
since I use Emacs as an IDE and mostly write CLI and Web apps...), so my
answer was on the fact that you can use MS visual studio *IDE* with Python.

Now for the RAD part, since the OP was also talking about WHS and Java,
I did assume that he was not specifically looking for a RAD tool. But I
may of course be plain wrong...

<OP>
If you're looking for RAD tools, there are :
- BoaConstructor (à la Delphi),
- PythonCard (à la HyperCard),
- wxGlade (RAD only, no code editing or whatsoever)

They all work with wxPython/wxWidget, which is a mature C++ free
cross-platform (Windows/X11/MacOS X) GUI toolkit.
</OP>

HTH
Bruno