CamelCase versus wide_names (Prothon)

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Fri Apr 23 13:53:13 EDT 2004

Do you have a use picked out for '@', '!' or '?'?  A new use for ``?
I think those are all either meaningless in Python, or tagged for
eventual deprecation in Python 3.0 in the case of ``.

Python already allows comments and strings to be in unicode or other
encodings, and may allow unicode names in the future.  Unicode defines a
lot of mathematical symbols.  Perhaps both languages should reserve the
special __uNNNN__ and __ruNNNN__ (where NNNN is the unicode character
value in hex), with __u0043__ being an alias for __add__ (etc) during a
transitional period.  I think that __u2261__ will be particularly useful
to those who wanted to express "is substitutable for", without breaking
the meaning of "==" or "is" operators to do it. (if you recall that
recent thread)

One possible problem with this approach is that you have to know at
parse time whether an operator is a unary prefix operator (like
__u222b__) or a binary operator (like __u2261__).  On the other hand,
this is already solved for + and -, so it must be OK.

Is it possible for Prothon to innovate here?

Unfortunately I'll have little internet access for the next two weeks,
but it'll be interesting to see how prothon evolves over this time.

Jeff