CamelCase versus wide_names (Prothon)

Glenn Andreas gandreas at no.reply
Fri Apr 23 16:58:02 EDT 2004

In article <slrnc8hluh.s60.apardon at trout.vub.ac.be>,
 Antoon Pardon <apardon at forel.vub.ac.be> wrote:

> If you would define a component as something like an identifier but
> without an underscore and then define an identifier as a number
> of components attached to each other with underscores you then could
> allow a function to have part of its arguments between components.
>
> Something like:
>
>   copy_to(a,b)
>
>   could then also be written as:
>
>   copy(a)to(b)

Or make it like Objective-C or Smalltalk:

   copy: a to: b

(which is odd for either language since there is no reciever for the
copy:to: message)

Probably wouldn't parse well with an if statement, though:

   if copy:a to: b:
      print "it copied"

That makes my eyes hurt just looking at it...

(I once made a simple scripting language that was built entirely from
that syntax, but every "word:" after the first was actually used as a
parameter name which could be in any order - it all worked suprisingly
well since I could do stuff like:

   copy: a to: b

or

   copy: a symbolicLink: false to: b