What is good about Prothon?

has has.temp2 at virgin.net
Wed Apr 28 18:46:00 EDT 2004

"Mark Hahn" <mark at prothon.org> wrote in message news:<hzwjc.6087$Qy.2366 at fed1read04>...

> I've got Has on one side of me who says that having prototype references
> instead of copies makes it too much like Python and therefore it isn't
> prototype-based

Not so. I've been saying it's not a proto-OO language because proto-OO
behaves according to a single tier model where all objects are equal,
whereas Prothon, like class-based OO languages, follows a two-tier
model where some objects (classes/"prototypes") are more equal than
others ("object" objects).

I may not know much about programming, but I've a pretty damn good eye
on me and can well tell the difference between stuff that's genuinely
simple and stuff that merely thinks it is. I know how high to set the
bar and, unlike some "real" programmers who think "simplicity" is
something you can get from slapping an extra abstraction layer on top
of the current complexity, I'm not afraid to rip everything down and
start right over again if something fails to reach it; and keep doing
so till it does. (Something a fair few professionals have yet to
learn, IMHO.)

You've asked for input on Prothon and FWIW I've given it. And while
it's no skin off my nose whether you want/need/like it or not, I'd
rather you didn't make it sound like the above is the best argument I
could muster as it's a little embarrassing. (Yeah, I realise that
sifting the wheat of my posts from the plentiful chaff can take some
work, but hey, nothing in life worth doing is easy...)