What is good about Prothon?

Mark Hahn mark at prothon.org
Wed Apr 28 20:09:44 EDT 2004

has wrote:
> "Mark Hahn" <mark at prothon.org> wrote in message
> news:<hzwjc.6087$Qy.2366 at fed1read04>...
>
>> I've got Has on one side of me who says that having prototype
>> references instead of copies makes it too much like Python and
>> therefore it isn't prototype-based
>
> Not so. I've been saying it's not a proto-OO language because proto-OO
> behaves according to a single tier model where all objects are equal,
> whereas Prothon, like class-based OO languages, follows a two-tier
> model where some objects (classes/"prototypes") are more equal than
> others ("object" objects).

I apologize.  I accidently stated what I once thought you were claiming.  I
do know now that you are claiming that it's not prototype based if it is
two-tiered with templates and instances.

My position (which is basicly in agreement with Lieberman's paper) is that
having multiple tiers is inherent in all programming and is a natural result
of factoring the problem of making many copies of the same thing.

We will continue to agree to disagree.  I have learned a lot in my arguing
with you though and do appreciate the time you've spent wearing out your
keyboard.

You might be interested to know that the first benefits of classlesness are
starting to appear in Prothon, however minor.  A small example is that in my
Pickle replacement (called Prosist) instead of having a Prototype called DB
that you load with the Prosist module to instantiatate your db, you can use
the module object itself as the prototype:

# typical Python setup
import Pickle
db = Pickle.DB("filename.db")

# Prothon
import Prosist
db = Prosist("filename.db")

I know it's tiny, but it's a beginning to show how things can be simpler
when you don't have to have classes.  Maybe you could show how your one-tier
approach would make this even simpler?