Difficulty Finding Python Developers

Lothar Scholz llothar at web.de
Thu Apr 15 17:29:16 EDT 2004

python at rcn.com (Raymond Hettinger) wrote in message news:<5d83790c.0404150701.605782a7 at posting.google.com>...
> [Paul Morrow]
> > posted a job on Monster, but we have been talking with various
> > headhunters in our area and they don't have many resumes that show
> > Python experience.  An so now, of course, mgt is wondering whether
> > selecting Python was a mistake.
>
> With a C++ code, it is critical for your programmers to have years of
> C++ experience.  However, with Python, experienced programmers can get
> up to speed over a weekend.

But thats only true for the pure language. You still need a lot of
idioms and knowledge of the libraries to become really productive with
python. And this can increase the time you need. For example if you
want to use webware you can get something up within 2 weeks, but you
need 2 more weeks to really understand whats going on (at this level
you know what is defined in each module and where it is used).