Difficulty Finding Python Developers

Robert M. Emmons RobMEmmons at cs.com
Fri Apr 16 22:01:21 EDT 2004

> I would actually suggest, however, that instead of hiring someone
> new for the position, take one of your talented existing programmers
> and have him or her learn Python while starting on this project.
> If the project goes well, you can more easily make the case for
> doing other projects with Python, and you might in the meantime
> have found some actual "Python programmers".  I still wouldn't
> hire them, however, if they didn't fit the afore-mentioned criteria...

I agree with Peter.  I learned python in an afternoon.  I'm not saying I
was highly productive after 4 hours, but I could program and start
working immediately.  Any good programmer should be able to do this.

For reference:  On the scale of programmers -- I'm not on the expert
high end -- just someone that has many years of experience in a variety
of languagues for a variety of small projects.   The ease and power of
using python is what sold me immediately.  Very Cool...

Rob